So I finally got into the garlic harvesting - for a week we (myself and the family I was with) got up around half 5/6 and started work at 7 for about 2 hours, before the sun got too strong and our backs began to ache too much. I really enjoy getting up so early and hence going to bed even earlier than I do in the UK! There was not too much to do in the valley after dark anyway so I did not feel I was missing out on too much! In the afternoon I helped cut and prepare the garlic for drying out over the summer months. Chopping for two hours, picking for two hours, chilling for the rest of the day - naked swimming in the river - not too strenuous but a little bit of focus and work for my board and lodgings....(although think I may have ate more than 4 hours work..)
A highlight of that week was a trip to the 'local' cinema (about 1 hour away) to see Al Gore's 'An Inconvenient Truth'. A film I kind of avoided in the UK; felt it may be a case of preaching to the converted, but took the opportunity while I could to get out the valley and meet some of the locals. It was essentially a good film. Aside from the 'Apple Mac' promotions and the shots of Al driving a non-electric car and getting on and off aeroplanes the film showed the raw facts of climate change and global warming. It is clear why this truth is so inconvenient - if we take it on we have to take personal responsibility for our impact on the planet. One of the starkest facts for me was that the percentage of scientists, published in serious journals disagreeing with global warming and rising sea levels etc is 0% but the percentage of US newspaper articles casting doubt over the issue is 53%. Where there is doubt in people's minds there is the excuse not to take action. It seems it suits the politicians and their business supporters to have the public in two-minds so as policies and practices can go on unfettered....increasingly this is the most dangerous of actions.
On leaving garlic world last Monday I went to stay at a community called 'Bundagen' resident to about 160 people, formed 25 years ago and close to the sea. It is an amazing, beautiful spot. One of the things I really appreciate about Australia is this alternative 'can-do' culture. People build the most unusual houses (mostly without planning permission so I gather), and live in a simple and natural way. Bundagen is run on 100% solar, everyone has composting toilets and there are enough skills amongst the inhabitants to make for a diverse and interesting community. I stayed with 'Phil the baker' and his pregnant girlfriend Jane. Even after 24 hours we were good friends, they were so welcoming and open...me doing lots of washing up and cracking jokes.....(I think they still liked me by the end!!). However, perhaps composting toilets and naked swimming on the beach is not everyone's cup of tea but it suited me well. I chilled out at Bundagen for 3 days, did some Chi Gung and had a shiatsu massage with 'cups' (which left large marks on my back...removing the excess heat...I should be so lucky to generate any!!).
So now I am back on the wwoofing trail at a community called Dharmananda. Perhaps you are noticing a theme here (apart from naked swimming).....communities, farming, avoiding backpackers....?! Dharmanda is an intentional community of about 30 years standing. They eat meals together 5 nights a week, taking turns in cooking, and have a thriving organic garden and dairy farm. There is lots of cheese, milk and yogurt flying about and the garden is big enough to feed the 20 community members and more. I have only been here a few days so not ventured into milking the cows as yet....(indeed I am experiencing some resistance) but I would like to have a go.
The next move is from here towards Brisbane and the Woodford folk festival where I hope to hire a camper van and well and truly live the hippie dream.....hope it runs on vegetable oil though as I want to keep Al happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment