Slight exaggeration as I have been to the beach a grand total of two times in the past two and a half weeks but I felt I had to keep up the Aussie image of beers, barbie and surf.....hmmmm, seems perhaps that looks can be deceiving!
So, I would be lying if I said a lot had happened since my last entry......However, I did milk a cow in the end, lasting for about 5 mins (in fact you need strong hands and some patience....neither of which I excel in) and I really enjoyed my stay and wwoofing experience at dharmanda. Seeing and being a part of a functioning community, observing the community meeting (at which consensus prevails so major decisions need the agreement of all members) and knowing that this has worked for the past 35 years was a really special experience. Australians seem to have a genuine 'can do' culture and what they may lack on cultural and racial diversity (in the countryside particularly) they make up for in living a life very close to nature and various animals and the creepy crawlies that pervade the landscape. I have been made so welcome wherever I have been which, I feel, is partly common experience of travelling but also indicative of a genuine openness of the people.
For the past 9 days I have been lodged in a wee caravan on the property of Fiona and Roger - two 'English' emigres who have been here a while (Roger since he was 12 in fact). My connection was with Jo who is a friend of my mate Steve who lives in a housing co-op in Wales called chickenshack so, hence, the communal theme continues.
Not so much to report in the last week - some enjoyable 'astro-babble' with Jo (born day after me a few years older) and some interesting conversations re life, the universe and everything in it with Roger, Fiona, Jo and Avi (an Israeli guy who has been here since June and not left yet!). Christmas was fun, we went to the beach in Byron Bay (about 45 mins from this place in the valleys) and had prawns and smoked salmon watching the waves - Marks and Spencer would have been proud. There were numerous men with xmas hats and surf boards who where undoubtedly from blighty - trying the reconcile the 'hot-christmas' situation by plunging half cut into unrelenting waves. I swam briefly - read: was thrown around for about 5 mins in water up to my knees - just so I could say I had done it. We then came back here and had organic chicken, tofu, mountains of food and picked our $10 xmas presents out of a hat just so we could align with the traditions of having something we did not want or need on Jesus's birthday.
So, it is now boxing day and I am off to Woodford folk festival tomorrow with a friend of my cousin's called Keith. We have bought a car together (as you do when you have met once in a night club) and will do some travelling (probably re-visiting all the lovely people I have met on the way up north). I hope to end up in the Blue mountains in mid Jan on (another) retreat to recover from the relinquishing of control I will have to endure in sharing my space with another....
So, I would be lying if I said a lot had happened since my last entry......However, I did milk a cow in the end, lasting for about 5 mins (in fact you need strong hands and some patience....neither of which I excel in) and I really enjoyed my stay and wwoofing experience at dharmanda. Seeing and being a part of a functioning community, observing the community meeting (at which consensus prevails so major decisions need the agreement of all members) and knowing that this has worked for the past 35 years was a really special experience. Australians seem to have a genuine 'can do' culture and what they may lack on cultural and racial diversity (in the countryside particularly) they make up for in living a life very close to nature and various animals and the creepy crawlies that pervade the landscape. I have been made so welcome wherever I have been which, I feel, is partly common experience of travelling but also indicative of a genuine openness of the people.
For the past 9 days I have been lodged in a wee caravan on the property of Fiona and Roger - two 'English' emigres who have been here a while (Roger since he was 12 in fact). My connection was with Jo who is a friend of my mate Steve who lives in a housing co-op in Wales called chickenshack so, hence, the communal theme continues.
Not so much to report in the last week - some enjoyable 'astro-babble' with Jo (born day after me a few years older) and some interesting conversations re life, the universe and everything in it with Roger, Fiona, Jo and Avi (an Israeli guy who has been here since June and not left yet!). Christmas was fun, we went to the beach in Byron Bay (about 45 mins from this place in the valleys) and had prawns and smoked salmon watching the waves - Marks and Spencer would have been proud. There were numerous men with xmas hats and surf boards who where undoubtedly from blighty - trying the reconcile the 'hot-christmas' situation by plunging half cut into unrelenting waves. I swam briefly - read: was thrown around for about 5 mins in water up to my knees - just so I could say I had done it. We then came back here and had organic chicken, tofu, mountains of food and picked our $10 xmas presents out of a hat just so we could align with the traditions of having something we did not want or need on Jesus's birthday.
So, it is now boxing day and I am off to Woodford folk festival tomorrow with a friend of my cousin's called Keith. We have bought a car together (as you do when you have met once in a night club) and will do some travelling (probably re-visiting all the lovely people I have met on the way up north). I hope to end up in the Blue mountains in mid Jan on (another) retreat to recover from the relinquishing of control I will have to endure in sharing my space with another....
No comments:
Post a Comment